Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Baseball Card story

I've been wanting to post this for a while; in fact, this actually happened months ago. I've been encouraged.. well, I should probably say that a dear friend of mine lit a fire under me to get me back blogging again! And she knows who she is.:)
So this is my starter story, which will hopefully be followed by more. ha..we'll see.

~

It's a little funny to me that I thought to title this post with the word "baseball." I truly could care less about the sport! Now don't get me wrong, I loved my days of playing softball growing up. I get all giddy inside when I'm around the smell of hot dogs, balls, and gloves. Just reminds me of all the days I spent at the ball park. I have never, however, enjoyed the real pro baseball that you see on t.v. It's just not me. I'd rather spend my time going to a game and watch someone I know, and have the enjoyment of talking to familiar faces in the stands than I had to watch people I don't know at a huge field or through the tube at home. B-O-R-I-N-G. Thankfully, my husband is not a fan (any longer - he used to be).
So, ironically we had a good friend of ours give us a billion baseball cards to sell online. When my husband told me this, I laughed inside because I knew what would happen: junk in our house. And I was right; they are in boxes on the floor of our room.
Not long after this, Little Bit (Daniel) was just starting to explore the house on his back. Now most of you reading my blog know some about Daniel's history.. he suffered a stroke at birth and his physical and mental development are very, very slow. He is now 28 months old and does not walk, crawl or talk. He DOES however know how to get anywhere he wants to get.. on his back. I kid you not. Poor fellow has hardly any hair on the back of his head. He can also roll, but he prefers to dig his heals to the floor and push off. And he is fast!!
Anyways, back to the story. One night not long after Daniel had figured out how to go from place to place on his back, I heard the door of my room shut. I was busy in the kitchen and asked my youngest daughter Anna to please go check on Daniel. I knew Daniel was in my room because around this time, he also learned how to shut doors(all this while still on his back). Anna told me okay, so I went about with my kitchen cleaning. A few minutes later, I inquired of Anna how Daniel was doing, and she said, "oh No, mama, I forgot to check on him!" Several minutes had gone by, so I admit that panic set in and she and I both ran to my room.
When we opened the door to my room, she and I both let out a gasp. And then silence followed from both of us as we surveyed the damage. Remember those baseball cards I was telling you about? They COVERED my floor! Little Bit had opened up one of the boxes and was group by group, one by one or five by five, digging his small hands into the box and flinging out baseball cards EVERYWHERE. Anna and I fell on my bed laughing and then it took us both 20 minutes to clean up. The cards were under my bed, the dresser, chest of drawers, the open floor..almost every inch of space in my room. And had I not swooped him up when we first got in the room, he would have kept on going till they were all out!!!
After everything was picked up, I retreated to my bathroom and cried. I've heard a lot people say (and I said it myself when my two girls were little), "my child is into everything" with much disdain. Having a child with special needs makes me evaluate differently. I can honestly say "My child is into everything!!" with a smile on my face and joy in my heart.
Thank you Lord for your (little:) blessings!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This made me laugh and cry! Sweet little Daniel, so glad he is into everything! :) We love y'all!
Aunt T